One very important detail was omitted from the earlier post (sorry!) - yesterday the surgeon said that the pathology reports on the tumor show that the margin was good and they are confident that they removed all of the cancer from his liver! Please pray that this is true and that Mike remains cancer free for the rest of his life.
The surgeon called Karen today to discuss the results of Mike's latest blood tests. It's good news! His sodium levels are almost normal! His protein levels are normal, which is good because protein will help the liver heal. His platelet count is up to 91,000 from 36,000 immediately after the surgery - platelets help clotting. He's not anemic, either, so his iron levels are looking good. This is a major improvement from his pre-surgery levels, which were practically non-existent. In sum, the surgeon thinks everything is going to start turning around after today. :) Mike is doing better today - you can tell he doesn't feel good, but he's doing a lot better than he was the last few days.
Dr. Maluccio, the surgeon, is going to call back tomorrow to check in. She is a rockstar. She has been so hands-on and personally involved in the case. We are very grateful for her guidance, follow up, and attention. For being one of the foremost liver surgeons in the state, her personal involvement has been so impressive. She's been able to put a lot of our fears at rest - definitely a God-send during such a trying time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey Mike & Karen - - This is firecracker news!! (pardon the pun) Also wanted to let you know not to worry about prayers . . .they continue on your behalf all you need to do is keep shooting off sparklers in our direction. How do you feel about coconut cream pie? That is usually what I want when I don't feel well . .that or chips and dips or tacos!
Love you . . . jr
Mike - wanted to let you know that Melody is sick today. I pray she did not give you any germs when she was there yesterday. But, I wanted to warn you in case you get sick. I'm sorry!
But, I am thankful to hear you are doing better - keep on that path. We are praying that wee remain cancer free for the rest of your life, and may it be a long one!
Mike - update - Melody has pneumonia. We took her to the ER yesterday, they admitted her. I didn't want you to worry about her - or about her passing on germs to you.
Post a Comment