Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Bear of a Surgery

Many apologies for not updating sooner.  IU has all social networking sites blocked, which we were unaware of before today.

Mike is in critical, but stable, condition.  He is currently in the ICU at the IU Simon Cancer Center.  The surgery began at 8:35 a.m. and lasted nearly 8 hours.  The surgeon removed the tumor, but it was larger than expected, so she had to take out more of the liver than was originally planned.

The main issues right now are how much fuctionality he will get back and high blood pressure in the liver.  The anatomy of his liver is unusual, so they are not sure what to expect in the next 24-48 hours.  They are concerned that the high blood pressure in particular might cause more bleeding.  The surgeon said the last few hours of the surgery were mainly dealing with the bleeding. 

Mike is still sedated and on a ventilator, in case they have to take him back into surgery.  They will not start trying to wake him up until tomorrow morning.  The surgeon said he looks good for someone who just went through this surgery, and his vitals are steady, but it is still a waiting game at this point.

We would like to extend many heartfelt thanks to all of you for praying for him and our family.  We definitely felt those prayers today and they have meant so much.

2 comments:

Dave E said...

Glad to hear Mike's out of surgery and his vitals are looking good. Stay strong and stay positive. Mike and all of you are in my thoughts.

jnolte@cableone.net said...

HI:
This is Joyce Nolte (Reed). Mary Jean told me about the blog and Mike. I am praying his recovery will be quick. It has been a long time and I do not recognize many in the pictures. I recognize Kathy, Christi, Gary & Mike. I do not know what child or their ages or who they go with. After Mike is on his feet and their is more time. Please identify who belongs to whom, their names, and ages. I not sure, I doing this blog right, this is my first time. I will be glad to hear more about how Mike is doing. Please keep the updates coming. In His Name Joyce & Marion